It is a common habit for Android users living in countries where internet data plan is expensive to turn on/off mobile data periodically. This is to prevent background apps and the so-called unseen forces from draining their data unnecessarily. As an Android user, I must admit that switching your mobile data off/on all the time isn’t comfortable and you tend to get messages late or even miss (emails, Whatsapp, BBM, snapchat etc). In this tutorial I’l guide you on how to configure an app (called Mobiwol) that will allow you block all unwanted (background, seen and the unseen) applications from accessing the internet on your Android devices. This app is 100% FREE, v.easy to use and you don’t have to root your device before u can use. Leggo!
Mobiwol is a firewall app for Android devices that allows you to block apps from accessing the internet. It gives you the power to decide which apps to deny internet access to, also allows you to pick if you want to block WiFi access only, block data access only, or block both WiFi and data access.
Follow the steps below to setup Mobiwol.
- Logon to Google Playstore download Mobiwol or download and install Mobiwol here or alternatively here. By default Mobiwol allows WiFi and mobile data access to all apps. You will have to decide which apps to deny internet and which type of internet access to deny (either WiFi or Mobile data).
- In my own case, I blocked Mobile internet access for all apps at once, then I manually allowed internet access for the necessary apps (BBM, Whatsapp, Email, etc). To do this, Open Mobiwol, click on “Firewall Rules” press the menu button on your device, choose mobile and select ‘Block All Mobile’.
- Next is to manually select which apps to access the internet. simply go into Mobiwol’s “Firewall Rules” and tap the Data icon for the app you want to allow internet access for.
That’s all you need to do, the rules have been set.
- There is no save button, all changes are applied as you change them. Once you have completed the steps above ensure the firewall status is switched on.
- When you enable Mobiwol you will be prompted (every time you restart your device) with a message that Mobiwol wants to make a VPN connection. You will be see a warning telling you that only enable VPN access to Mobiwol if you trust the app. Click on Allow! You don’t have to worry about your data privacy Mobiwol’s developers claim Mobiwol’s VPN connection is simply a local connection; Mobiwol makes no connection to an outside server, based on my personal tests on this app I can confirm this.
- You can also configure Mobiwol to always auto start when you reboot your device and also to block any new application you install from accessing thee internet, To activate these: select Firewall Settings, Switch “Auto Start on Reboot?” ON, also set “New Application” to Block.
- If you have a rooted Android device, DroidWall is a very good alternative to Mobiwol. It’s excellent and more user friendly.
I would love to hear from u, kindly drop your questions and suggestions via comment box 🙂