Yea! i finally did it. After many days of procrastination, i finally Upgraded my Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini (GT-I9195) to Android KitKat 4.4.2 using the official firmware but “manually” (who cares, it worked fine!). Although, the update has been officially released today, users will start getting update notifications in their notification panel depending on your location. This post if for peeps who would like to manually install the official update right away.
Why do I need to upgrade to Android KitKat? Android 4.4.2 KitKat comes with better multitasking support, white status icons (my battery, network bar all white) , new icons for various apps, an improved battery life, a smoother interface, new Google-based apps, improved S features and loads of other tweaks that will definitely improve the overall performance of your gadget.
Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini (GT-I9195) is the LTE Black Edition of Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini which was launched 4 months ago in few selected markets. If you own a piece of this amazing device, here is a tutorial on how to get it updated to the latest Android 4.4.2 OS.
Before flashing the new firmware manually, there are some things you should be aware of:
1. Have a proper backup of your important data (My data was intact after flashing but always take precautions)
2. Your device should have at least 60% battery.
3. You must have installed Samsung USB Drivers on your computer, Download here
4. USB Debugging should be enabled on your device.
5. The firmware in this tutorial is ONLY for Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini LTE version with model no GT-I9195, DO NOT use it for any other device.
Disclaimer: Proceed at your own risk! Am not responsible for anything that goes wrong with your device (all-is-well)
HOW TO UPGRADE SAMSUNG GALAXY S4 MINI TO ANDROID KITKAT
- The first thing you have to do is head on to SamMobile and download Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini (GT-I9195) latest firmware for your device here (The file is 833Mb and you may be required to register, registration is free and quick)
- The firmware is a zip file with .tar.md5 file and one other file, extract them into a folder.
- Next thing is to Download Odin v3.09 and extract into another folder.
- Right click on Odin3 v3.09.exe and run as an administrator.
- Switch off your phone and reboot in download mode by pressing and holding the “Volume Down Key + Home button + Power key” at the same time. You should get a warning message, press the Volume Up key to enter download mode.
- Connect your S4 mini via USB cable to your computer and wait until a blue sign appears in Odin.
- Click on AP and select the “I9195XXUCNE6_I9195YPRCNE2_I9195XXUCNE6_HOME.tar.md5” file you extracted in step 2
- On Odin interface, ensure that ONLY Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options are checked.
- Click the start button, sit back and enjoy a cup of your favorite beverage. You will get a green sign in Odin when completed
- Congrats! You’re rocking KitKat
If your device freezes during the boot process, perform a Factory reset/Data wipe:
- Enter Recovery Mode by pressing and holding the “Volume Up +Home + Power buttons” together.
- Select Wipe Data/Factory Reset, After this has been completed select Wipe Cache Partition before you finally select the reboot system now option.
I welcome contributions and questions.